"...but I'm not trying to prevent heart disease. I'm trying to augment the caloric intake of fish. If it's calories, and it's in a form that can be converted by the LMB, then it's better to use the cheaper alternative."

Fat or oil is the most caloric dense 9-10cal/gm, depending on who you read. I have not gone the Healthy Organic route, but I give the BG in my retention pond the waste fat & oil from the kitchen that I have. The fat off beef & pork cooked or uncooked, is always fought over & quickly consumed. The oil from fried fish or chicken, I pour over dry fish food & let it soak in before hand feeding it to the BG. it leaves a bit of a oil sheen on the water.

I have wondered about the cost & value of large pieces of beef fat run through a grinder & fed as a high energy supplement? It would be a poor value if the BG were not getting some natural food & dry food as another supplement.

The BIG experiment: If I good get hold of a large supply of BACON GREASE & pour that over their dry food before feeding them.

What would that fried BG fish sandwich taste like with lettuce, tomato, & Mayo?