Hello Dick Faurot,

You might be surprised at which 'better' aka more expensive pumps actually produce less pressure and air-flow. Rena-400 for example is only good for 0.078 cfm whereas the cheapest I mentioned in the article puts out .155 cfm per port and in the neighbourhood of 4-5 psi.

If you can barely get a few bubbles with the hose just under the surface then either your pumps are faulty or there is some kind of blockage/leak. When there is very little depth it takes very little pump to move the air. You might want to remove the air-stones and see if it is passing air through, just in case they are the problem. Check for leaks at any connections and or kinks in the lines. The Rena-400 might not push much air but it should push enough to see just below the surface.

*Note that through the winter I run a $20 pump through about 150 feet of line to two 12" air stones at 4-5 feet deep. Keeps a 10+ diameter hole open. Sometimes you get lucky with these type of diaphragm pumps and sometimes not it would seem. I might suggest a Hagen Optima single outlet pump... 0.177 cfm at 4 PSI or use the same set-up but with a GAST pump or Dynamaster 2 pump.

Owner/Builder of Ottawa Canada's first official off-grid home.

http://www.mygamepictures.com - Hosting your outdoor adventure, fishing, hunting and sports related pictures!