Originally Posted By: wolfie
Has anyone ever heard of/used Susquehanna Aquacultures as a source for HSB? Also found another one, Keystone Aquacultures, looks like it could be a good source for stocking HBG/CC/HSB. How far in advance of my first stocking should I be sourcing my fish? A year for the HSB? Are they that tough to come by?

I am still a little confused as to why the CC/HSB would not spawn in my pond. If things were set up correctly could this be made possible? Maybe the better question is, do I want them spawning in my .6 acre pond?

CJ- You had mentioned earlier that I don't want structure in a pond my size? I thought structure was used for cover from predators, but you're saying it will be more of a "hot spot" for the HSB/CC to hang out and feed on the young fish? Maybe I need some clarification?

Pond has about 10-16" of water covering 3/4 of the bottom so far. Got a long way to go but "baby steps" right.

Again, thank you in advance.

Wolfie,

The recommendations are meant for ”put and take” ponds as opposed to self sustaining ponds, such as LMB/BG ponds. Even in those ponds, the CC generally do not spawn. If they do, the LMB quickly eat the fry.

Being hybrids, the HSB generally will never reproduce. There is some evidence that they can, but it is rare.

HBG will have limited reproduction, but the offspring will be undesirable fish similar to green such fish. Thus, predator fish are required to eliminate the HBG offspring. HSB are a great choice as predators. You don't want places for the HBG offspring to hide, grow, and produce even more undesirable offspring.

Channel cats need cavities to spawn in. Old culverts, buckets, etc., provide those areas. If allowed to get too big -- probably bigger than 25-30 inches, some will dig caves in the sides of your pond. I had it happen when we first bought this property, when there were a lot of CC bigger than 36 inches. The CC will also act as predators.

Remember, each of these species will need to be replaced on a somewhat regular basis. But, especially with a feeding program, they will provide a great fishery by the second season and beyond.

I am fortunate to have one pond of each type.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!