I have a farm pond that is 20 years old. Pond is small, only half an acre, but productive and healthy. I bought the property with the pond on it 10 years ago. The pond has never been dredged. I am thinking of installing a windmill bottom aerator as I have heard this will clear the sludge on the bottom by stirring it up and letting the bacteria consume it. I have just discuover this great site and the wonderful advice. Appreciate any and all opinions.

Thanks!

Here's more info on my pond. It's about 6 ft deep in the center now. I have walked through it when the water level was down and sunk up to my knees almost in muck. The pond is spring fed and also fed from runoff from a larger pond. I have lots of geese and get loads of goose droppings. I often wonder if the muck is not mostly accumulated goose droppings from years of their "patronage". Appreciate all the info that you have provided thus far. I saw that a windmill aerator was a "last choice". Why would that be, are they just not reliable enough because of the uncetainties of wind?
nhman