I would not think this to be political. Maybe a hijack of sort's. This is private sector.

I am seeing stuff coming back to Michigan from across the pond, and below the border. Outsourcing at a certain percentage was actually mandated by GM, now Gubment Motor's (this may be political) They told their suppliers that this is the way it is, S+++ or get off the pot!

15 years later, we know that this don't work!, and reality is slowly sinking in.

As an OEM Machine Builder. Working on a GM project was dismal to say the least. Getting paid took lawyers! If a company in the loop on a project failed, payments were held up to everyone else. This strategy by GM infiltrated to the rest. A Tier 1 company, not more than a mile from here, adopted this practice. Talking to a good friend who is in position there. They lost 19 OEM's in one year. They have a bad reputation now, and no one local will work with them.

What about all this Japanese stuff that entered into the picture? Trial and error I suppose, but it ended up on the error side!

Pretty silly, but an employee had to log so many hours a month in "the facility" learning Asian techniques, or they were demoted. It's a warehouse now.

No offense to anyone, but that's not how we operate in The USA! It can be tested, maybe hurt, but never broken!!!