I just wanted to throw in an update on the DW and Coontail issues (and fish) in my pond. On a good note, with this drought my 2 acre pond has not gone down. The well-pump remains running but I'm not sure how many gpm it's contributing and it's pretty much been running since I moved in the first of April. And as much as I hate the DW, I think it's been a contributor to the lack of evaporation as well.

I put in 40 oz of Fluridone on July 4th for the DW and Coontail issues and at this point what I've seen is the shore-line weeds are dying or dead. In about a week the tips had turned white and now just shy of 3 weeks they have nearly died completely.

There's not been a noticeable color change in the DW (I wish I had a pre-Fluridone picture of it) but it does appear the Coontail is losing it's greenish color below the surface and appearing brown (unless I'm just trying to convince myself it is).

As I know the Fluridone is a lengthy kill (45-90 days) my biggest concern is the fish-kill I had on June 16-17. First all the fry were found along the shorelines, then on the 17th were the bigger fish. I spoke to a guy that knew this pond well before I moved in and said 3-4 years ago the pond got really low followed with a hard freeze. Thinking it completely killed all the fish, he then said he stocked it April of 2011 with LMB, BG, CC, Crappie, 6 grass carp and some wipers. And with that being said, all species were found floating (about 100 or so and I don't know how many he stocked).

I could now refer to my pond as a frog-pond as there's thousands of them of all sizes. Just walking along the shoreline, hundreds will be jumping in the pond and every free-floating log is lined with frogs. This is another reason why I think there can't be too many (if any) bass in my pond. On top of that, I've not been able to catch any and the two jug-lines I have out have produced nothing as well (hoping to catch a catfish).

My goal is fishing this pond and in mid April caught many LMB until the FA got so bad I couldn't even fish it! Would like to fish BG, LMB and Catfish if that's a good combination. As I contemplate restocking, and as a side note, I'm renting this place and don't have a lot of $$ to put into it, (although I'm down about $3k so far with early chemicals such as Cutrine+ for FA, pond dye, etc.), and installing an aeration system June 6th and applying the Fluridone July 4th) is now a bad time to start stocking BG and LMB? Let alone with the current weather we're having?

On one other side-note, Ted Lea has been awesome as I've been working with him since May regarding the FA issues, the DW and Coontail and installing the aeration system. I'll touch base with him as well but wanted to throw this out to the forum.

So do I wait until the Fluridone has done it's job before stocking?
Do I stock BG prior to LMB?
Any other comments regarding the fish-kill, frogs, Fluridone, etc.?

I miss fishing in this beautiful pond!

PB Rocks!!!

Keith - Still Lovin Livin

https://youtu.be/o-R41Rfx0k0
(a short video tribute to the PB members we met on our 5 week fishing adventure)

Formerly: 2ac LMB,HSB,BG,HBG,RES