The guy that built the pond was over at my friends house Sat. night while my wife and I were visiting so I began picking his brain (I'll be nice here). I wasn't impressed at all by his thinking on pond contruction. I had brought over the USDA Pond Construction handbook for my buddy to look at and this guy saw it and said "I have that"and I thought to myself, well he hasn't read all of it or didn't follow it for sure. This is a guy around 25 years old who talked like he was 18.
He did however believe wholeheartedly that pigs work and claimed to have used it several times before on other ponds. He said it hardly ever takes more than 6 months. They set a feeder near the edge of the pond and every few days move it a little further over until they've gone around the entire pond; We'll see if this works. I did find out that this guy never uses a sheepsfoot roller nor does he make any attempt to get any rock out of the surface layer of soil. He may be right for all I know with my limited experience but he said that the rocks make the clay pack better.