I agree with Instar, nix the kiddie pool. Use a shallow pan or tub that will be submerged in the pond. It will always receive fresh water and will simulate close to in-pond conditions. You will be suprised how well the spiral will grows in tub or pans. What you plant in the pond may not survive due to various reasons. This technique cuts your losses. The pan planting will also allow you to plant the plants at ideal root depth. Plant plants about 2"-4" apart and they should soon send out runners and numerous new plants. Submerge tube of colonized plants in about 2.5 -3 ft of water for winterization. Pull tub back into shallow water in April. Regowth should be apparent in mid-May 2013.
I and several others in the area have red tipped eel grass. It is a variety of Vallisneria americana. I was to a pond Friday evening that had it growing all around the edges down to about 4ft maybe 5ft deep. The owner keeps it raked out of the swimming beach area. The red tipped sends up flower buds about one month earlier than regular eel grass. Flower buds of red tipped are a lot smaller than standard eel grass.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 06/25/12 07:48 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management