Reported in today's news:

RENO, Nev. – The University of Nevada, Reno’s Sudeep Chandra, a leading Lake Tahoe scientist who has studied invasive species and limnology at the lake for 20 years, said issuing permits for commercial harvesting of crayfish at Lake Tahoe will help improve clarity at the pristine lake, as well as take away a food source for other invasive species that threaten lake clarity and ecosystems.

“The Nevada Division of Wildlife is taking an important step with the harvesting permits. We expect to see the first permits issued next week,” Chandra, a professor and researcher at the University’s Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Science, said. “Harvesting the invasive crayfish at Tahoe could have a positive impact on lake clarity, especially in the critical nearshore zone of the lake.”

The crayfish is thriving in this nearshore zone, and it’s in this area that a harvest will have a net positive impact.

“The crayfish stimulates algae growth by excreting nutrients and grazing on algal cells, some of which are dead, that open up room for more growth. Algae growth is a major factor in Tahoe's declining clarity. What we are finding is that the crayfish stimulate algae growth," Chandra said.

I think that is the first time I've read something about a link between algae growth and crayfish.

Oh and for those that don't know: Limnology is the study of how much lime to use during a tequila shooting rampage.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)