This sure came out of the darkest corners of the forum.

Having just put in a number of new ponds, I have used a variety of things to hopefully control erosion. The worst parts, where I can't mow due to wetness and the steep inclines, have been planted with crown vetch. In some places, I've even put in horse radish. The places where I plan to have guests, and maybe even a few campers, now and then, have been planted with various mixes of bluegrass, fescue, and rye. Where water ebbs and flows, I've put in water cress.

It is interesting to see the various views on crown vetch. Some states and researchers love it, others hate it. I already have it on my property on my nearly mile of driveways/roads, and I love it. If it is kept mowed, it doesn't spread. It doesn't spread into forested areas. Yet, it requires virtually no maintenance in areas where it is really needed, and it keeps other noxious things from gaining a foothold. If you buy the inoculated/coated seeds, which are quite expensive (about $70/lb.), it can be put down on nearly anything, including compacted clay -- and it will prosper very quickly.

The top of the dam of our biggest new pond (only 1/4 acre) will be covered with gravel. Because every part of the country seems to use a different method of sizing gravel, I won't even attempt to describe what I plan to do -- other than to say, it will be OK for a D8 Caterpillar or a 40 ton truck to cross the dam, as well and most any wheel chair or motorized cart for the handicapped.

We'll see what happens. Right now, my arms are covered with what I believe is poison ivy, from the cheap straw I put down two days ago over the seed that I spread that day.

Regards,
Ken

Last edited by catmandoo; 05/30/12 07:43 PM. Reason: fat finger corrections from my "smart phone"

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!