budster, look at it from the other side of the street - Greg's side (and mine, n8ly, Bob Lusk, etc.) Many of the customers want an inexpensive feeder (I do too) that works flawlessly (yep, me too). But, if you sell one that doesn't work 24/7/365, how does that reflect on you in your customers eyes? Does the customer expect you as the seller to come out and fix it if they aren't handy with tools? Do they expect you to do that without charging them for a service call because they bought the feeder from you? How many trips can you make before that sale ceases to be profitable? Remember, no profit, we can't pay ourselves, our employees, and we wouldn't be in this business for very long.

It doesn't take very many sales of inconsistent quality controlled products to turn me away from them. How can I best serve my customers if I have to tell them "We sell this feeder for less than 1/4 the price of our Cadillac feeder, but we can't guarantee how long it will work for you. If it quits working, you'll have to take it apart and send it to them to be fixed, or we'll have to charge a service call to come back out."

Years ago I called Greg about an AquaPro feeder that I purchased (not from him). I called because he sold them, and I was getting the run-around from Stren. He sent me parts for it at no cost, and I wasn't even a customer. After spending the $ on 2 of those feeders, I would be $$ ahead (and my fish & pond) would be better off if I would have spent the (IIRC $125 each) extra $$ on a TH feeder. Less wasted food, more precise feed dispersal (amount) and I wouldn't go a couple of weeks at a time without feeding because the feeder jammed and I wasn't around to notice it.

If you're handy with tools, and are willing to spend the time on the feeder if it quits, then I see no problem with buying the less expensive feeders. Maybe your feeder was built on Wednesday and it'll work flawlessly for years. But, experience has shown that in regards to feeders, 90+% of the time you really do get what you pay for.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).