I planted 1200 tree seedlings in 2010, 7000 in 2011, and another 1200 this spring. While I'm no expect, I have picked up a few things.

Assuming the area to be planted is now just fescue pasture, I would have a local farmer bale it for hay later this summer. 2nd choice would be to mow it early August. Then the first of October hit it with about 2 quarts/acre of glyphosate and a proper amount of AMS (water treatment). Properly done, that will leave you with dead thatch to plant into early next spring. It won't hurt the pond in the watershed. I had also added OUST XP to kill the grass and have a residual effect on weed germination, but not sure about its effect on the pond??

I too have too many deer, and thats a whole 'nother discussion. Having soybeans nearby as an sacrificial planting helps, as does Plantskyyd. If your areas being planted to tree are large blocks, I would put up an electric fence (two fences, one three foot inside the other with two strands, an outer fence with electric tape 18" off the ground)

Last edited by Redonthehead; 05/07/12 12:32 PM.

[Linked Image]