Jim - Welcome to Pond Boss.

How big is the open area, and can you safely get to the water when the ice is out? Does it have shallow edges where bass and bluegill can spawn?

I've got a lot of family on both sides of the MN/WI border, from Duluth/Superior, down to about Grantsburg/Pine City/Siren, etc. A number of them are contractors/excavators, and they sure do complain about what they can and cannot do when it comes to wetlands - or anything that has water on it for a few days a year.

My niece and her husband ran into all kinds of problems a few years back when they inherited a number of acres from his family's farm. They decided to build a home on the back of the property, which required about a 1/3 mile driveway through pasture area that stays wet several months a year. It was such a hot topic, I don't even dare ask what the outcome or what current situation is/was. But, the DNR and a few other agencies got involved, and ... At this point, I'd be afraid to snag a lily pad and pull it out in WI or MN.

Anyway, give us a little more info. Maybe, hopefully, some of our MN friends can shed some light on what you can and cannot do, even around the edges of the wetland.

Depending on size, the ratio of the fish you put in is probably about right. I don't think I'd put a whole lot more of anything in there for at least another season. If the bass and bluegill have a good place to spawn, you should achieve a good base starting this season. I'd not put in too many more pike in a small water. Our friend Dwight, who is a little south of you, can probably make some good suggestions about that. He's had good success with all three species. What you have in there now will probably wipe out the fathead minnow population, unless they have a way of getting in there from outside water sources -- or they have lots and lots of places to hide where the northern and the bass can't find them.

Regards,
Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!