Originally Posted By: Cecil Baird1
Originally Posted By: Stanb999
Yeah, I figure it will be harder to clean. In that I really will need to treat it like a tank. I will add fish. Grow them out. Harvest in one batch.... Rinse and repeat.

I don't figure it will hold many at all long term. More likely a growing season.

If this works out well and I like actually raising them. I may just get a pump, dig a well and go commercial. With a closed system I could produce tons a year with this clean mountain water.

If you go that route you might be able to find a significant artesian well by just drilling with no pumping needed. That's the ulimiate as there are no pumping costs and you flow everything via gravity. Or worst case scenario find one that does not produce the water significantly artesian but shallow pumping could increase it substantially.

The issue here isn't so much water availability. A few hundred gallons a min leaves my actual pond. It's the start of a stream. The real issue is the pond is at the lowest level of the property... Of course the water is at the bottom. LOL

Then the land rises 10' or so feet to a few; like 2-3 acre flat'ish area. I would need to pump the thing more than 15' but less than 20' vertical. Not a big deal but for a few hundred gallons a min. It will take some horse power anyway.

I even thought of an area up by the road to put in a fish and pay pond.. Tourists!

Farming go big or keep it a hobby.

Last edited by Stanb999; 04/14/12 08:09 PM.