Originally Posted By: Rangersedge
I've pulled this thread up too many times over the years and plan to build one myself this summer. Could we get an update? Especially regarding status of foam noodles and of soil loss through the .5" mesh.

The small island made it thru it's 3rd winter still intact., even the foam noodles are still there although getting rough.
The only visable soil loss was at one end where the muskrats chewed on the iris, I'll just put some paper over the plastic mesh and add some dirt.
The only plants that made it thru each winter are the iris, cattails, and swamp grass.

If I was going to build another island I would make it out of a 4'x8'x 2" sheet of foam, then carve a rounded shape, paint it with an exterior latex paint to help preserve the foam, drill lots of small holes thru it to allow roots down and water up, then attach a framework of 3/4" PVC to give more strength to the island, next attach some of that vinyl garden edging around the perimeter of the island so you have a 1 or 2 inch lip to help hold the dirt on.
You can attach a cable to the PVC framework and run it down to an anchor.

If I didn't already have 2 large natural islands I would build more, I really believe they are a great asset to the fish and pond health.