Justin:

Typically the ratio is 750/250 BG/RES per acre. Only stocking 350 is a lot light. RES or Pumpkinseeds will do the same thing in a pond, but the RES will get to roughly twice the size as PS. If PS are stocked in a pond with RES, they will act more like BG than RES. If they are stocked with BG, they will act more like RES than BG.

I'd look at putting in more FHM too. You want to be able to walk on the backs of the fish before you stock the predators. Yes, 5# will reproduce in the pond, but if you can start out with more than that, so much more the better.

The CC will start to act like predators once they get larger than 18" or so, and in my experience, will get increasingly more difficult to catch as they get larger, especially if they were caught and released before. I have caught 2 large CC in my pond, tagged them and released them. In the (now going on 3 years) time that I've tagged them, I've only seen one of them once. The biomass that they take up could be used by something else.

Last edited by esshup; 03/21/12 07:01 PM. Reason: cc info.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).