centrarchid on the nanfa.org forums has crossed RES with PS and back crossed that with RES ((RES x PS) x RES) and from what I read the offspring are quite fertile (which is actually desirable for my experiment and undesirable for his). I have sent him a PM on those forums to pump him for information; I am hopeful but I believe the focus of his research was mainly on crating a sterile triploid fast growing sunfish, which eliminates the RESxPS branch of research fairly quickly. The results of his research (from what I have read) indicate that he did not view the RES x PS hybrids as viable for his purposes because they were so genetically close. For my research however, this would be a positive.

I don't think the RES & PS cross very easily under natural conditions, so in order to breed them, I will have to get a little freaky with them and a pyrex bowl (I'll be sure to dub some Marvin Gaye over the video; too far? :)).

We're a long way from that point but you have to have goals and I personally think this a worthwhile experiment. I know if there was a local hatchery that sold sunfish with the snail appetite of RES and the cold tolerance of PS, I would buy them in a heartbeat.

To be honest if it weren't for the risk of parasites, I would just fill a pond with bluegill and a couple of HSB, grow them out on Aquamax and be done with it... maybe.

Are there any members from the north, (outside of the RES comfort zone) who have filleted a yellow perch/sunfish that was filled with parasites who think this isn't worth attempting?