I started my first RAS build this weekend. I'm going to be taking my time and taking lots of pictures. I will update this thread with the pictures and progress as time allows.

At some point, many of you will probably read this thread and ask why did he take so much time on X. The answer, I was raised by a machinist and overkill is all I know.

Things I've learned thus far:
*If you can find used barrels that were used for food grade ethanol get them! (nothing easier to clean out of a barrel than ethanol).
*Using a cutting wheel on a dremel or small air grinder with lots of patience makes much nicer cuts than a sawzall.
*Using a knife to rasp/chamfor the edges of cuts into the barrels works well.
*A 7x7 sheet of deer netting makes a nice sack to hold the remaining 93x7 sheet of netting bunched up. Simply take the 7x7 sheet and lay it centered over your topless barrel and stuff the netting in. Then twist, tie and melt the 4 corners of the 7x7 like you would the end of a rope and form it into a handle (pictures of this to come).
*Purchase your pump before you think about buying PVC fitting so you know what you are working with.

The design I am planning, is to use 3 barrels laid on their sides for the fish and one barrel standing up packed with deer netting for the bio filter.

That's all for now.

If anyone has any suggestions, ideas or anything feel free to fill the thread with your thoughts and I will take them all into consideration during the build. I still haven't decided on the pump or the aerator that I will be using for this. Your thoughts on this this are welcome as well.

I will try to upload the first pictures from last weekend tomorrow. There probably won't be any new action until this weekend when I have more free time.

I look forward to your feedback and input throughout the project.

Last edited by DMRBG; 03/13/12 10:49 PM.