Originally Posted By: JKB
When I got my first DO meter. I went around and tested everything liquid, plus the air quality. My sisters well water was the worst. Heavy Hydrogen Sulfide, and it always smelled bad. DO was basically non existent, but when you fluffed it up with aeration, BINGO! It still has residual bacteria after the fact that put's a slime coat internally on anything, given time.

WOW! JKB, you must be a very lucky man! DO meter that can monitor water and air can be $$$. Wish I have that kind of cash to get myself something like that. Since you smell H2S in the water, that means you have either a bad vein of gas pocket, or something tainted the soil down below. Water there will be devoid of O2 period! Like I said, H2O2 will grab anything and everything that is willing to bind, which is H2S (hydrogen sulfide), since S is in the same class, but different atomic weight with O, they are willing to share. Acid rain..you got to love it. We have plenty of that here during the late spring, summer, and warm winter, like now, due to the dense smog at the inversion layer.

As you also mention about the "sink" part of the water, when anything that is heavier than O2, and combined with O2 into a soluble compound solution, it will sink. An example is the "heavy" oceanic/fresh water near the deltas. There are heavy water circulating near shore, as well as in sink holes. It's a whole different subject all together. Too long to explain.

Originally Posted By: jludwig
Yes that is correct. It is hard to describe the shape on here. All atoms want to get to equilibrium and it could be correct, Leo would have to answer that. I just know basic chemistry and a few other things.

You explained very well! You get a huge kudo point for remembering your organic chemistry. Only, and if only the oxygen is released as a radical in a stable water body, oxygen will be dissolved even more/faster than a polluted water body, such as one that has too much turbidity/total suspend solids/dissolved solids/pollutants/organics...

Originally Posted By: Bill Cody
Isn't H2O2 an oxidizer and typically unstable and very reactive in 'trying' to ozidize anything vulnerable in its path? How stable is H2O2 in a natural aquatic enviornment? I suspect not very stable.

H2O2 may release the oxygen as a radical, and it's an oxidizer, but you have to understand, it's not an industrial strength oxidizer at 5% (retail with safety precaution), 10% (majority of cleaning solvent), or even food grade as high as 35%. No no..it's only at 1% to 3%. Still high enough to cause effects to biological in the short run, but too low to cause concern in the long run. The effects is not 24 hours based, but only 3 to 5 hours. Once again, due to all the fore-mentioned above.

YOU GUYS ROCK! Man, I'm truly blessed to hang in a forum that is active, no bloodshed, yet very in tune with sciences and the natural! KUDOS! Very rare to find such forum that don't exhibit arrogance, and loaded with helpful tips and dedication. If you need my contact for any reason, feel free to message me, and I'll be glad to give you my cell number. Call me any time for info, and of course, I will learn from you as well.

Rex, you'll be hearing from me, since you're the master of tilapia ;-) I would love to work with you in restoring project to the Salton Sea, while working in conjunction with the Department of Fish and Game and Salton Sea Authority. You made my day just being here. By the way, you are truly insightful to this species.

Last edited by Leo Nguyen; 02/10/12 10:30 PM.

Leo

* Knowledge and experience yield wisdom. Sharing wisdom expand the generations with crucial knowledge. Unshared wisdom is worth nothing more than rotting manure.