So.....thursday was mostly a bust. Got one pike that was 19 inches (all measurements are from after they froze into pikecicles) on a tip up in about 9 ft of water, large shiner 3' off the bottom.

Second pike was the biggest i have a picture of, at 24 inches, in 6' of water on a medium shiner, 2' off the bottom.

My friend matt, with his first ever ice fish, and his first ever pike, at 21.5 inches. Great story here, flag popped, by the time he got to it, nothing was on the end. He pulled the line in, saw the minnow still alive, placed it back in the hole and allowed it to sink while re-spooling the line. He said he watched as the minnow started to freak out, then watched the green rocket cross the hole, then the line started screaming off the spool in his hand, he dropped the tip up and brought the fish back in.

And here is one of the bass. we didnt take too many pics, because we like to get them back int he water asap, but this guy was gut hooked, and died on the ice. Pretty much all bass were the same size.

Finally, one of the neighbors was out and did pull out a 32" pike, which he promptly ate.

Sunday was the killer day, though. I was packing up all my stuff and loading it into the car for the drive home. I took 3 tip ups and laid them out in front of dad's pier. I didnt even check for depth, just put them all at 6' under the ice.

In the 2.5 hours fishing i did, i had 12 flags that i had to race from the house to catch, and landed 3 bass and my dad nabbed a pike which he laid out on the yardstick on his pier and said it was 27. He should be sending me a pic shortly. I left him those 3 tip ups and my auger considering that the fishing was awesome at the beginning of the day, hoping he would land a few more. Unfortunately, they were calling for icy conditions for pretty much my entire drive home, so i couldn't stick around. I might try to go back for next saturday, but have a lot of projects to take care of, so we will see.

-mike

Last edited by skinnybass; 01/23/12 11:17 AM.

Trying to help with 7.5 Acres in the Chain of Lakes Illinois
- -
The fish would stay out of trouble if it could just keep its fool mouth shut.
Turns out there is a lot I should be learning from the fish.