A day or so after our South Dakota buddies headed north, I was talking to Debbie. She could tell my mind was a little bit overloaded, so she graciously suggested I get away. I've been threatening it for three years...just some time along to think, read, pray, write and rest. Well, she mentioned it on Monday, August 1, in the afternoon. So, I packed a bag and left at 5 a.m. Tuesday, August 2. Headed west. Not sure where I was going...so I started Googling after the sun came up. Found some cozy, inexpensive cabins in Ruidoso, New Mexico. By that time, Texas had baked in excessive heat for three months and it was time to escape. So, by five that afternoon I was nestled in a little cabin, breathing cool, fresh mountain air in my warmup bottoms and t-shirt. For the next 7 days, I spent a refreshing time, recharging, writing the next Pond Boss, working on a book and putting together the elements of the Pond Boss sunfish poster (available now). It was a great time. But, on the 9th, I headed home, drove those 9 hours, ready to see my bride. On the 10th, she and Ashley headed toward Nashville, while I headed to Waxahachie, Texas to give a pond management speech with for Ark Country Story with my friend, Dr. Bruce Condello. Then, early the next morning, Condello dropped me off at the airport, where I flew to Nashville to man a booth and give a speech at the BassPro Land and Wildlife Expo. We met up with Fred (Bing) and Connie Bingaman and had a great time. Fred and Connie got tickets to the Grand Ol' Opry, where we were able to join them backstage and meet some of the stars.
Here are a few pictures of that adventure.

Gave a speech and manned a booth.

Johnny Morris stopped by the booth and hammed it up with us. I also bumped into Ray Scott and Roland Martin at that show and got to spend some time chitchatting with them, too. Got to meet Jeff Foxworthy and then introduce him to Ray Scott. That was pretty fun to watch.

At the Opry, they celebrated Vince Gill's 20th year as a member. His daughter performed with him.

Vince Gill onstage.

Vince with Emmy Lou Harris backstage, after the show.

Vince Gill speaks with Bings wife, Connie, as Debbie looks on.

Vince's wife, Amy Grant, shared the fresh fruit from their dressing room and talked with us after the show. It was a special time, thanks to our friends from Illinois, the Bingaman's.

Teach a man to grow fish...
He can teach to catch fish...