RedSpruce,

You can easily make your pellets sinking by hydrating with water in a zip lock bag. The ratio may vary depending on the manufacturer and size of the pellet, but I am hydrating 5D05 Aquamax 3/16th? inch pellets by added water in a 3:1 ratio (3 parts feed to one part water). Getting the ratio right is important as if you add too much water you get mush and not enough and they don't fully hydrate. Through mixing of the contents of the bag is important too. I mix the bag over and over again in my hand for the first minute or so and then flip it over occasionally on a flat surface for the next five minutes. Then let sit for a couple of hours.

The hydrated pellets will still mostly float, but you simply have to pinch them individually or squeeze a handful in your palm to get them to sink.

Remember you don't have to feed the trout much in winter. My trout aren't fed at all under the ice. They seem to come out of winter just fine.

Thank you Bill Cody for sharing this info albeit he mixes his in a container and measure his out with a mixing cup.

Last edited by Cecil Baird1; 12/08/11 12:14 PM.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.