It is again that week of the year when many in the nation are out deer hunting. Hopefully, our Pond Boss readers are very careful about how they shoot, field dress, butcher, and prepare their venison.

I violated my own rule yesterday when I sampled someone's venison that I thought might be questionable. I didn't get extremely sick, but I sure was uncomfortable for several hours. I still don't feel real vigorous today. I have to believe it was from improperly cleaned and smoked venison.

I took a bite, and was immediately put off by rancid fat that had not been trimmed out of the smoked piece I sampled. I should have spit it out, but I didn't. Besides the rancid fat, I have to believe that it had been gut-shot, or the stomach/intestines, or bladder, had been pierced during cleaning -- and not properly cleaned out and disinfected.

To me, this is why so many people say they don't like venison.

Deer are easy to clean and butcher. If you don't know how, find a friend who is willing to teach you. There are also a lot of really good videos on U-Tube and elsewhere on the Internet.

Field dress them immediately. Cool them immediately. Get them down to less than 40 degrees as soon as possible. Hang them when you skin them, so that you can keep all dirt and hair away from the meat.

When butchering, cut all of the fat out of them -- it turns rancid very quickly -- whether chilled, or even frozen. De-bone them completely. Even the bone marrow will turn rancid and ruin the meat. Again, don't let them get above 40 degrees until you are cooking them.

Good luck this week. Remember, the does and very young bucks provide the best meat. If you want a trophy, think hard before pulling the trigger on anything less than a really big 8-point buck. Let him survive another season.

Just my crazy opinions.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!