Mayflies, like numerous other types of animals, have different feeding habits. There are around 500-700 species in North America- most of the species are stream dwellers. Feeding habits depending on species range from herbivores, detritivores (small bits of organic matter) to predators (few). The various species have different development cycles.

I assumed, although maybe incorrectly, that 'pondfather' was referring to a subgroup called burrowing mayflies which are often the common larger forms in lakes/ponds and are primarily detritivores - usu. filter feeders. 'Burrowing' mayflies are usually the largest mayflies in an area. The other main subgroups are swimmers, sprawlers, clamblers/clingers, and climbers/crawlers.
•Crawlers, who spend their underwater life crawling between rocks and pebbles.
•Clingers, who are flat little things that live in fast water and rarely lose their grip on the bottom.
•Swimmers, who flip their tails and swim.
•Burrowers, who dwell in sediment.

Thus depending on which species you have most common in your area, this will determine its life style and feeding habits. Most mayflies are either herbivores or detritivores - some utilize both, grazing on algae and detritus. I am not real familiar with the mayflies of SE United States. Ponds and lakes with good water quality and low chemical inputs will often have two or three types of mayflies present. My ponds in NW Ohio have at least 5 species and maybe 6-7 species of mayflies of various sizes and different emergence periods.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 11/22/11 03:13 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management