Got a question. I know I'm supposed to build a trench for the dam core. The majority of the pond was already excavated before I really started and the left edge is too close to the pipeline right-of-way for me to build a trench any further away from the pond than right on the edge.

I'm thinking I only need to dig out the sand back to the width of a traditional core trench, then pack that back with clay and continue building up to the height needed to contain the water. This makes the core actually have a notch that is below the existing terrain, as a core trench does, but it won't be a ditch, so to speak. Please see the two drawings below for a cross-section view of the pond in the area of which I am speaking and tell me if you think I am wrong in my thinking.

FYI, the right side of the pond shown on the cross-section here is actually higher than the left side and is solid clay. It requires no dam on that side. the pond is on a hill that slopes toward the dam but also slopes across the pond too.

Red Rock Rancher