Quote:
Originally posted by Meadowlark:
stclAG,

Howdy neighbor...East Texas rules for ponds...in spite of what you may read from naysayers. Our abundant rains and great sub-surface clays are a paradise for pond owners and our long growing seasons enable superb growth in our fish.

Our surface soils are generally acidic and most ponds benefit from 4 to 6 tons per acre of lime every 5 years or so. $45 per ton spread sounds like a reasonable price to me. I bought 26 tons last year for pasture and ponds at a spread cost of about $37 per ton, but fuel costs have really hit hard in that regard.
ML, good ole East Texas boys sometimes react to a ”burr under the saddle” or an “itch you can’t scratch”?
Other wise an excellent post.

I guess I’m guilty of being the “naysayer” you are referring to, but if you review past posts about water quality in East Texas, you will find that the geologic information provided was a professional opinion, for a person doing a land search looking for optimum water quality.

Five tons per acre @ $40/ton for 26 acres is not a small expenditure for many folks.

George Glazener