In addition to our five acre lake we have two small ponds. In June 2009 we rebuilt the dam of the smallest and built a spillway out of large rocks. The spillway can be seen from the cabin and there is a waterfall of several feet as it falls into the lake. This pond is spring fed and normally has water running into the lake.

Except it didn't take long for the water to find its own path under instead of over the rocks so it's been on the “fix list” for a long time but never got to the top of the list.

For the first time since the pond was rebuilt we are having a shortage of rainfall and for the first time since built there is no water running through the spillway so this is a good time to try for a fix. (by the way, the lake is 18 inches low, the first time it's been more than an inch or two low since built in 2005)

So I just started working on the spillway. I'm hoping that with some concrete and bentonite I can persuade the water to do what I want.

After I finish and we get some rain I'll let you know if I was successful or not.

Rebuilding the dam in 2009

After a rain in 2009