Everyone ready to play "Wheel of Misfortune?

Over the past few months of trying to fix all the problems from the original builder, We have run into almost every problem imaginable
flat tires,tipped machines, stuck machines, broken machines, days of rain and pumping water. The list goes on. We have dediced to call the land "Colossal Failures Sanctuary" a place where all your failures can live in harmony.

This past week, on Friday the skidloader broke the hydraulic housing so it went down friday afternoon. With two huge rollers sitting there, I could do no work until the skildloader is fixed or at least removed from the pond. By Saturday morning it was determined that part of the drive was shot and there was nothing they could do until they yanked it out on Monday. 16,000 sheeps foot and a 28,000 lb flat shell sitting idle for the weekend was not a promising start.

I called a friend, owner of the rollers on Saturday explaining my situation and 2 hours later he shows up with a track loader that I could rent/use for the weekend. Saved the day but I am not done yet. He shoots some elevation and notices a few other problems. He has been in the excavating business for 20 plus years. He asked on Saturday afternnon around 3 pm if he could jump in the track loader and fix a few of the problems. Have at it. The 3 of us watch is wonder and amazement as he ran the track loader all over the place building a bank 2 feet higher, clearing out muck, leveling a few areas and shooting the final grades in about 3 hours. It would have taken us days to do that work.

Thank you Troy. There are not enough words to express my gratitude to the sacrifice and help Troy provided. I was thinking over the weekend as the pump broke down several times at the land (misfortune) there are alot of forums here at Pond Boss and I know you want to stay away from attacking, critizing companies and people but coming from my ministry background and education, what about a forum that allows individuals to share stories of those rare times when people go out of their way to help us in building, fixing, completing our ponds? What Troy did for my situation is beyond thanks. how many more have stories of people helping. Each thread could be limited to so many words but would serve to encourage future pondmeisters that even though there are people who take advantage of us, walk away from umcompleted jobs or leave us with ponds that leak, there are good people out there who even help for free. Just an idea.

After he left, we finished rolling and laying the sealant, laid the last of the clay and rolled again. By Thursday we started pumping water from the main pond back up to the middle pond.

Looking up at where beach will sit

looking from beach area to end of swimming hole

looking at far end of catfish pond to bend

looking at levee as we pump up water

looking at overview, top of picture is small forage pond, march area in background with rentention wall

Starting tomorrow, finish the road and path work, spread out topsoil aand more grass. Turn on the well and see what happens over the next few months as it fills.

Troy Lee
Troy Lee Excavating
5024 Torque Rd
Loves Park, IL 61111
815/636-8478

Last edited by kurt; 01/03/12 11:26 AM.

13 acres,
5 ponds 1 still working
FHM, Shiners, CC, SMB, WE, Yellow Perch
living the dream

Can't have everything...where would you put it?