I went out to check my place on Sunday. As I drove up the east west stretch of the dirt road going to the farm it was like a fall day with the north winds blowing leaves across the road. The post oaks appeared to be hanging on but the pecans were shedding leaves. Beautiful trees 3 to 4 feet in diameter. They are the neighbors and I sure hope they make it.

I was going out to check on the tanks. Not concerned about the fish anymore, just hoping the water holds out for the livestock. I've got ten mares out there because the grass on my sisters place in Hico is gone. I figure there is at least another months worth. If there is no relief on the radar in the next week or two I'm going to have to see about getting that water meter installed.
I headed back through Dawson that evening. When I got to the south end of town the road was blocked. It looked like they were just putting the finishing touches of fighting a grass fire.

I went back down yesterday with the bobcat in tow. I decided to try to do a little work on one of the tanks while it was so low. I took the road though Dawson to get a better look at what I drove through the day before. The fire was out along the road but I could see smoke coming from about a half mile up the creek from where it was the evening before. I don't know if Tom still checks in here or not. I never met him and just know him from his posts on here. Someone might want to give him a shout and make sure hes making it through all right.

Life’s mostly scars and souvenirs