I planted the corkscrew ell grass in 2 to 3 feet of water. Beside planting the 4 plants below my deck I planted 1 plant every 4 steps, or about 8 feet. I looked up my records and I planted about May 7th. It seemed like it took a month before I begin to see result. But now the corkscrews have exploded. My pond had dropped about 2 feet from evaporation so yesterday I went around my pond trans planting plants that were about to go dry. I got around 50 corkscrew plants and never made a dent in the population. I was wading just a few minutes ago trying to count the population from just one plant and I roughly counted 30 from just one plant. The plants don't seem to have any rime or reason in the way they spread. Some will grow in a big cluster and other will spread in a long row of 4 or 5 feet. This was way more then I expected from a plant. I figure we have 4 to 6 weeks of growing season left so the corkscrew should have a heck of a start for next year, if they survive the winter. The plant is listed as an Asian plant so I guess you could call it an invasive non native plant but it is pretty, about 1 to 1/2 feet in length and stays below the water surface.
I had bad FA shading for about a month and I was afraid that would kill the corkscrews but they were nice and green when the FA left the surface. This is where I got mine and a picture of the condition when they arrived.

I used to think the FA free mystery pond was caused my the many Black Ramshorn snails 10 years ago but now there are hardly any. The pond now is turbid partly because they have dug and expanded the pond in the far end, but 10 years ago I waded in the pond and was able to see and pick up hundreds of snail. I put them in my pond and they died out for some reason. I was going to get permission to put a fish trap in the pond and see what I come up with but I haven't done that. Yet, anyway. 10 year ago the pond was isolated and hard to get to, now they have a gun shooting station by it and you can drive right up to it.

http://www.aquariumplants.com/product_p/va069.htm