Well I was finally able to scrape up enough to get Greg Grimes and crew out to take a look at my pond last week. Greg, his associate Matt, and Tommy who came along to discuss my dam, were very professional and knowledgeable. The good news is, what I have isn't chara.

Note From B.Cody. I agree with weed professional K.Duffie - Chara. "G.Grimes and crew" have misidentified the plant. Although it is possible that G.Grimes & Co. happen to see a different plant from the pond than the one pictured. However the plant is definitely Chara in the above pictures.

I purchased a supply of Diquat from them and am now making periodic and sectional treatments of the pond. The mechanical removal was a seemingly endless task with lots of work getting very little effect. I am very happy to have a potential answer that doesn't seem as quite as hopeless as perpetually dragging tons of the weed to shore for disposal. I am going to wait for a few weeks before I spray a new section in hopes of preventing any adverse dissolved oxygen effects from the dying plants. They agreed I needed to get the plants out as my DO levels dramatically fluctuate from daylight/dark periods further stressing the fish. They also recommended added numerous grass carp to help keep the weeds down in the future....after I deepen the pond and control my outflow so they don't escape.

Sadly, I don't have the skill or the equipment I will need to get the dam done but Greg brought along Tommy who was very knowledgeable and will do the work as soon as I can come up with the price of admission. He thinks we can easily gain 2 feet overall from the dam + really how much ever I want from digging out with the bucket around the edges of the pond. This will go a long way to helping control the weed problem as well as overall fish health, now all I have to do is find the money.

The best news was my water quality. I knew my pond was spring fed but didn't realize how unique it was to have as much water flowing out as I do, especially this time of year. They all thought my outflow was amazing considering the conditions of many of the local ponds this time of year. With the air temp at a balmy 88 at 9:30am, the surface water temp was 75...and I'm sure much colder than that in the are of the spring's source. pH was 6.9, hardness was 80 and alkalinity was 86, apparently both good numbers for raising quality fish from their reactions.

Eventually I will add a feeder and aeration, but it will take me quite a while to get the funds for the dam so that's not happening any time soon. The main thing is, they all think it's a project that I should set high expectations for and will see my eventual goals reached by following the plan.

If you guys get the chance to use Greg's services, I highly recommend him and his team as an investment well worth the price.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 09/23/22 07:28 PM.