Sometimes "under" aerating can cause more problems than not aerating at all ~ you will de-stratify your pond and mix the bottom low oxygen water with the top oxygenated water, but not move it enough to bring the oxygen levels up throughout the water column. I have seen where oxygen levels are sooooo low by the bubble column because the low oxygen water is being brought up from the bottom, a sure sign of under aeration. You really need to circulate the total volume of water atleast one time per day to bring those DO levels up. My suggestion to you is to put it on your list of priorities and plan on a properly sized system when you can find it in your budget. Don't waste money on half a system that won't benefit your pond at all.
Now, that being said, I have seen benefits to aerating an isolated area of a larger lake, such as a cove ~ or a seperated section. I had a large fishing lake in East Texas that had annual fishkills and we aerated about a 40 acre section ~ they never had fishkills again and that was about 5 years ago. You wonder if fish are able to find their way to oxygenated areas ~

Sue Cruz
Vertex Water Features
www.vertexwaterfeatures.com