Originally Posted By: Kelly Duffie
Originally Posted By: Todd3138
Whitecap kills everything, though the FA bounces back quickly. Obviously, there are a lot of nutrients left in the water using the chemical route and that is one of the big undesirable side effects. Whitecap may also not be your best solution since you have what appears to be a pretty constant outflow. To be effective, Whitecap needs to maintain a minimum concentration and if the pond flushes, that may be harder to accomplish.

Thought it best to amend Todd's statement to avoid any misunderstandings.
Whitecap, Sonar, Avast (all are fluridone-based herbicides) will only control a limited group of susceptible vascular plants - and have NO AFFECT on any specie of algae (a group to which Chara belongs). If anything, fluridone may actually enhance algae-growth by triggering the release of nutrients from the macrophyte plants that subsequently die and decompose. However, Todd is absolutely correct in respect to fluridone's inappropriate use in transient/non-static BOWs. Extended periods of contact-time, at lethal concentrations, are required for fluridone's cost-effective performance. Flow-through aquatic environments required a completely different approach; and since Chara is the primary issue in this particular case, fluridone is definitely not the answer.

Thanks for setting me straight on that, Kelly. That's an important distinction and one that definitely needed to be pointed out. That's why I consider myself a rank amateur at this stuff! I've been away from the forum for about a week and have a lot of catching up to do, but, again, I appreciate the info in your post and will catalog that away in my mental stores!

Todd La Neve

[Linked Image from i108.photobucket.com]
Click Here to Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

1.5 & .5 ac ponds - LMB, BG, RES, YP, GC, HSB