Thank you Kelly. I had thought it was Chara from what I've read but it really doesn't smell in my opinion. Everyone talked about how stinky it is so I just discounted that as my misidentification. It does however have all the other characteristics. This is the first time posting a picture anywhere so I will go with your identification. If I continue to mechanically remove portions then chemically treat the areas that I remove with a product like Citrine-Plus Granular, will that at least kill the weed in the areas I remove it? It was very discouraging to clear what we did only to have it fill right back in within a few weeks. I would continue the mechanical removal if we could prevent the fill in. My thought with that is to mechanically remove as much as possible in order to prevent adding even more nutrients into the pond from the dead vegetation. Can chara like this be successfully controlled if chemically treated in the early spring?

You have the water conditions correct: it is what I would classify as hard water, it is exceptionally clear, and the bottom of the pond has more than enough "nutrients" to keep tons of this chara happy and healthy.

Thoughts on increasing water depth to help with it's elimination and thoughts on how to do so?

Thanks for your help.