We currently have more new threads and questions related to Filamentous Algae (FA) issues than I've seen in my years on the Pond Boss Forum. In the past couple of months I've also been asked by a number of co-workers and neighbors about how to control FA. I'm hoping that we can consolidate some of the many questions/posts/suggestions into a single thread to be put in the archives.

This has been a very bad season for Filamentous Algae pond issues in much of the country. As we know all too well, much of the lower-48 has been plagued with immense precipitation, severe storms, and the consequential flooding from direct rain and from snow melt. The generally cool weather, punctuated with really hot and steamy periods, has not only made life miserable, it has exacerbated pond FA issues.

Over the years I've done much to control FA in ponds. I'm not a trained professional. This is only a serious hobby for me -- but, I've never had to resort to chemicals to control FA. I've done it mostly by mitigating nutrient inflow, and by absorbing the nutrients before they get into a pond. I've helped a number of others using similar techniques. At recent conferences, including PB-IV, I presented various techniques for mitigating unbalanced pond nutrient levels.

In the next couple of days I will try to find links to older posts about this. I'll hopefully find a way to post MS PowerPoint presentations I've prepared that relate to reducing unwanted nutrients in ponds that cause FA. Possibly a few others can point to some helpful posts regarding the control of FA.

If your FA problems are completely out of control, we have a number of great experts here on the forum who can provide excellent professional advice regarding how to deal with these issues. Please remember that some of this advice may require licensed and certified professionals.

Before you know what you are truly dealing with, please don't start indiscriminately adding dyes, chemicals, fish, etc., to your pond. Besides Pond Boss, don't forget that most states have great land-grant university Extension Service aquaculturists who can provide help at no cost.

Ken

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!