Taken from the Oklahoma Water Resource Board website:

•Average annual lake evaporation in Oklahoma ranges from 48 inches in the extreme east to 65 inches in the southwest, numbers that far exceed the average yearly rainfall in those areas. If that's true then:
1 acre foot of water is one acre covered by a foot of water. One acre foot = 325,851 gallons. So, how big is your pond, and where are you located in the state?

If you were in the 48" area, that averages to having 108,617 gallons evaporate per month on an average for a 1 ac pond. If that's true, you'd have to average pumping slightly more than 2.5 gpm 24/7 all year long just to keep up with evaporation.

I'd make sure of the GPM of the well. How old is the well casing and screen? If you feel comfortable with the casing and screen, I'd think a 1/2 hp submersible pump would be plenty big enough. Pipe size all depends on the length of run, but I'd run 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" poly to minimize friction loss.

When I had the well dug for the house, I had the driller put on a double length of screening. Hopefully it'll take a while to plug up!

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).