I tend to agree with CJ's comments. I will add that why would HSB expend time and effort eating BG if HSB are feeding heavily on pellets? This is why I also think secondarily that HSB are not good at controlling BG esp if pellet feeding is used. Keep in mind that all the fish combinations you are considering (HSB,SMB,YP,RES,GSH, can be fairly easily changed to a LMB-BG fishery, but LMB-BG can rarely be changed without killing & restarting to those other fish dominated situations.

I have found HSB are aggressive feeders and when lots of them are present they can dominate the feeding area. This is sort of dependent on how any HSB are present. More exerts more dominance. A few HSB 12-16/ac), then usually no problem in other fish getting pellets.

For wise management and effective chemical algae control and management, I am currently 'sold' on using peroxygen carbonate (Phycomycin, Pak 27, Green Clean Pro) especially in smaller ponds. Peroxygen leaves no residue, reacts quickly, will oxidize (breakdown) smallest organics, is not affected by water hardness, has minimal impact on invertebrates/fish, and helps oxygenate the pond as it reacts. Used correctly it can be fairly selective on nuisance bluegreen algae blooms. It can be used efffectively to 'trim the bloom' and retard early stage algae growth.

Establish plants asap, so they get growing as the nutrients begin accumulating early. Some of the better type of plants are most often only available from water garden stores and become fairly costly if lots are needed. Thus to get a good number established so they are effective it takes time for a purchase and planting of $20-$30 to expand the plant basis.

Last edited by Bill Cody; 05/01/11 05:47 PM.

aka Pond Doctor & Dr. Perca Read Pond Boss Magazine -
America's Journal of Pond Management