Originally Posted By: Indygunworks
I have been thinking LONG and hard about HSB bluegill and it seems like it would be a really fun combo. two questions though. will the bluegill be enough to provide forage for the hsb? what order of stocking (pond not dug yet) what kind of structure for HSB?

how many and of what.

ect. i dont want a very very high maintanance pond. but i do plan on aerating and feeding. will this lead to the potential of a weed problem? i do not want a weed problem at all as we plan on swimming in this pond.

also, should i decide to go to a bg lmb combo, how would i do that, and what will end up happening to the HSB?

I doubt that the HBG would provide enough stand alone food for the HSB. You would probably want to establish some additional forage, perhaps FHM, before you put them in.
Remember also, that HSB will feed on pelleted food like your HBG.
How many? With feeding and aeration you can bump up the numbers, However I'm still researching this myself. I have questions regarding whether or not the additional, pre-stocked forage for the HSB might impact their predation on yoy HBG.

My current HBG pond is 2/3 acre, and I stocked 500 HBG, and since I also went with LMB, I don't have any figures on HSB. I can tell you that I am Bass heavy now, and I still adding smaller Bass as I catch them. I am a firm believer in having a lot of skinny, hungry Bass in a BG pond.

Since your pond will be new, I wouldn't think you would experience an undesirable weed explosion immediately, perhaps you should look into getting some beneficial plants established to utilize the nutrients in any uneaten feed, and fish waste that will be produced. I know the pondweed has taken over my pond, to the point that I'm considering drastic measures. Starting from scratch would at least give you a head start on being able to choose your plants, rather than react to them like I'm doing now.
Maybe someone more knowledgeable will chime in with a better plan, I am still feeling my way around as I go....

"Forget pounds and ounces, I'm figuring displacement!"

If we accept that: MBG(+)FGSF(=)HBG(F1)
And we surmise that: BG(>)HBG(F1) while GSF(<)HBG(F1)
Would it hold true that: HBG(F1)(+)AM500(x)q.d.(=)1.5lbGRWT?
PB answer: It depends.