Busted....yes we have exposed clay around the addition. I knew this would come up, lol. All the vegitation around the exhisting pond has stayed in tacked and for the most part is doing its job. However the additon has not faired so well. It is hard to unearth that much clay and have new growth immediately. There are spots of the additon that are in fact about 12 ft deep. With the exception of one hole about as wide as the bull dozer the floor of the addition in compacted clay.
What would you suggest for ground cover around the pond and dam for a low cost? Sod is not an option, there is just to much area, and with the longhorns on the property, they would just tear it up and eat it. (they eat just about anything). My suggestion to my brother was possibly seeding it??? As long as we keep it watered, it should in fact take off pretty fast. I would not think the longhorns would hassle with new grass growth when there was 4" standing hay 20 feet away.

Couple more questions....I put 5 small bass in the new additon. ( they lady across the street has asked us to take several small fish out of here pond as a sort of management) Will they live? It has been about a week and I have been dilligant checking for floaters....nothing. The new addition is full of baby frogs, and also seem to be minnows or some sort of baitfish already (we have not added anything to it). You can see swimming, v-line manuvers all across the pond...something is in there. How did it get there? Birds? We are scratching our heads on this one.

Last edited by Jeff_G; 03/11/11 09:48 AM. Reason: typos