Hello all: This post is to document my pond management in action in hope of inspiring those with similar problems, and to solicite any advice from members. I am assuming this will be a success story. I would also like to welcome any input. This long post should give patient readers good background information.

Foreword: The pond is located at my parents house, and i live 2.5 hours away.

Pond specs:
-Located in south mississippi
-10 acres total water. Watershed fed. 2 separate 5 acre spillway connected bodies of water
-5 acres 15 years old, 5 acres 7 years old, 4-8'deep
-initial 5 acre pond built from expanding 3/4 acre gum pond containing few species of natural fish
-stocked with F1 LMB, coppernose bluegill, and few white amur GC.

Pond history:
the pond has seen its fair share of changes over the years. After producing a few years of good fishing, we began having an infestation of lilly pads. This was fun at the beginning, fishing frogs, but soon became a chore. At some point early in the history, my father, against my wishes, put about 30 adult crappie in the 5 acre pond. Father knows best- right? Anyway, I moved to college, and the pond didnt get fished much. Even when i came home to visit, i didnt battle the lilly pads. Eventually, father needed a project and expanded the pond another 5 acres by removing a 15 foot section of the existing dam to flood the additional 5 acres. And now we have the final 10 acres of water. No stocking was done in the new water.

The problems: Overcrowded, Stunted LMB

1. Late spring, during great golf weather, we decided to fish before our golf outing. We caught 6 LMB, all about 10-12" long in about 1.5 hours. The love of fishing that i had lost, came back with a vengenance. So i returned home the following weekend and fished again. Caught 4 fish all day, one 5lb'er and 3 stunted bass. There was no diversity in size of fish, so overcrowded stunted bass is the number one problem.

2. Additionally, we cured the lilly pads a couple of years ago, but massive amounts of water grass and weeds were growing on the bottom. i forget the species of weed. so this presents problems of its own: clear water, massive vegetation, too much cover for small fish.

3. Water clarity and alkalinity. you know how this relates

So last year, without planning any strategy, i did my research, thanks in part to the pond boss forum. AND

-I spent the rest of the summer fishing and harvesting LMB every weekend that i could manage. Total harvested approximated at 100 and ~50 total lbs.

-GC stocked at 6/acre total of 60, for gradual weed reduction in July last year. Hoping they would destroy cover for little fish and provide more food for forage since my bass are starving.

-Water sample analyzed by friend in his lab. Sample taken in july at 3pm. ph 5.6, alkalinity 1mg/dl. pretty bad.

The goal:
To re-condition the pond by balancing population in order to provide quality fishing with occasional lunker bass. Average LMB catch weighing 2-4 lbs. Apply the knowledge that i have learned on pond boss to accomplish my goals without spending thousands of dollars.

The strategy this year:
1. Harvest LMB:
-I will harvest every LMB under 2lbs and 14" and any LMB looking stunted with large eyes, and long slender body.
I will consider population studies if economically possible.

2. Grass Carp:
-I will evaluate the effectiveness of last years stocking and increase if vegetation is not properly controlled.
I am hoping the GC will muddy the water a little as they uproot the aquatic vegetation. If they muddy the clarity, sun wont penetrate and allow the plants to grow on the bottom. They will continue to destroy habitat, and small fish will be available for forage.

3. Water, soil testing:
-I will take a soil and water sample within the next 2 weeks and have it analyzed at Missippi state university or MS department of wildlife fisheries and parks.
-Based on this analysis, i will consider liming the pond for optimal buffering capacity during the hot months.
-I do not plan on fertilizing this year until pH and alkalinity is stabilized. Will also need to consider water exchange to see if liming is cost effective.

4. Strict fishing log:
-Keep an accurate log with weights and lengths in order to monitor the effectiveness of my treatment plan.

5. Enjoy myself as much as possible knowing that any day fishing is better than working.

6. Take one step at a time. Be patient. Think economically.
Know that this pond may be doomed and in need of starting over.

7. Document and update on pondboss for those of you with similar problems.

Postword:
Thank you to the pond boss directors and contributors and forum members who have provided valuable information through their posts. Please feel free to advise. Since its that time of year in mississippi to start fishing, please check back for updates on this thread and offer advice. I was planning my first fishing excursion today but mother nature didnt agree.

JB