Originally Posted By: esshup
Originally Posted By: catmandoo
These same people call themselves "hunters." I think I posted elsewhere, where I brought a beautiful large and healthy doe, that had been gutted and prepared for butcher, to an acquaintance. He nearly lost his breakfast when we transferred the carcass from my truck into the back of his pristine GMC Suburban. I lent him a tarp to put it on in the back of his vehicle. He brought the tarp back to my wife, in a garbage bag. He was wearing latex gloves when he handed her the garbage bag.

laugh

I wonder how people like that would have survived 150 or so years ago?? Or is it strictly a function of how they were brought up and they are that far removed from our hunter/gatherer ancestors?

Where I grew up, it is more like 50 years ago, not 150 years ago.

One of my uncles spent his life from 1941 to about 1973 overseas, from the mid-East, to Bikini, to the Panama Canal Zone. His kids -- my cousins, generally spent 9 months of the year in government compounds. They spent 3 months a year on the farm. One time, when we were about 10, one of these cousins was surprised when we picked eggs. He thought eggs were "manufactured in the commissary." Thankfully, all of these cousins turned out to appreciate where food really comes from.

I hope this doesn't become a controversial thread. But, it is very sad that so few understand where everything in our lives comes from -- food, clothing, energy, transportation, etc.

Yet, I am very inspired by the young people I see who complete degrees in agriculture, fisheries management, animal sciences, etc. In day-to-day life, they are so far ahead of many who graduate with degrees in engineering, mathematics, computer science, etc. When I hire a young MS or PhD graduate in my field of science, it is rare for most to fully grasp and understand day-to-day life. They look at me as a "gross old man" because I raise, prepare, and butcher much of my own food. But, when we last had chickens, they had no problem paying $4/dozen for brown eggs, and they rave about the "butterfly" trout filets I bring them as gifts.

Subscribe to Pond Boss Magazine

Peculiar Friends are Better than No Friends at All!