I have been convinced that removing the +-40" NP from the pond and replacing them with some small ones may be a smart move.

Why could it be a smart move?

Those big NP are probably cropping off the larger YP, BC, and BG (hereafter, the “Trio") in the pond with their voracious appetites. There has been some discussion of this phenomena in the Nine Inch Fish Thread .

Nate brought up the idea and after thinking about it, I can see the clear logic of his comments. Dr. Dave and Eric have hinted at this at times as welll. It took a smack upside the head to cause my fish brain to engage. Thanks, Nate!

The small NP will eat off the lower end of the Trio since that is all that they can get their mouth around. This will allow the larger Trio fish to grow to lunker-size while keeping the small Trio fish from overpopulating.

Since I want to add WE and SMB this fall, removing the large NP should free up a lot of predator “space” for the newcomers.

Targeting the big NP could result in some serious fishing fun!

Questions:

How many small NP is a good number for 16,000,000 gallons of water (5 acres x 10 feet deep average)?

What are the downsides of this potential plan?

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather