Although summer is my favorite time at the farm I do enjoy all the seasons. I enjoy winter the most if there is snow on the ground and this year we have pretty much had a snow cover all of January. Normally in this area we don't have that much snow or it staying on the ground for more that a few days. This is our fourth cold snowy winter in a row.

I enjoy the beauty of the snow and the coziness of the big fire in the fireplace. Its nice to sit by the fire and look outside. We've used the sled hill several times and for the first time we are feeding the birds.

Last winter we sometimes supplemented the fireplace with a portable propane heater but this year experimentation has shown that propane is not needed and is not a significant factor in keeping the cabin warm. We expect to go through around three cords of hedge this winter. In the afternoons if its sunny we get a lot of passive solar heating. If the sun is shining we can normally go all afternoon without a fire and with the cabin temperature around 70.

Last edited by Lyle Krehbiel; 01/26/11 11:47 AM.