I believe Bill hit another homerun !!

Not much for anyone to chime in on.

Bill said "IMO, LMB are a much more aggressive and better shallow water predator to reduce your overabundant prey fish populations; esp bluegill."

I agree and would guess by a large factor - between 4 and 10 X in that situation.

Bill said "IMO a better species than SE to help rid the lake of shad is to introduce hybrid stripped bass (HSB). The HSB have a relatively small mouth but they compensate for this by having a huge appetite for smaller fish, thus they have the potential to eat lots of small shad."

I agree and would also point out that HSB are also an effective predator on small BG and shad during cool water periods when BG and shad metabolism is slower.

Only 2 small points to add.

1. SE being a coolwater fish can function better (more likely to approach their potential) in lower water temps than LMB. However SE at their max potential may not be as good a tool as LMB at less than their potential given the situation. Not sure that has any bearing in Neb.

2.Assuming you are talking about GShad (too cold for TShad) then LMB are a many fold better predator on GShad due to gape size advantage over SE or WE. GShad get big fast - often too big for SE and WE to be effective. Big LMB can do the job most of the time. As Bill notes bigger LMB may be in low #s due to fishing.

Last edited by ewest; 01/24/11 05:28 PM.