Yep, the cable does come from a walking drag line. I believe one machine has an 80 yd bucket and the other has a 100yd or greater bucket.

The pieces are currently in 20' sections, and the scrap yard won't pay for them unless they are in 3' or less sections. They'll take them in longer sections, but won't give any $$ for them.

I don't know if the plasma would work with the different strands and if it was grease impregnated. My cousin can get the pieces for free, and was thinking that it might be a way to generate extra $$ on the side if he could sell the scrap. I've used a plasma to cut up to 3/8" thick steel. I don't know how large of a machine it'd have to be to cut the thicker stuff.

A guy that he knows rigged up a gang of slow speed cutters )like chop saws) with diamond wheels. He runs the 20' piece of cable on a table, clamps it down and makes 7 cuts at a time. But, all he can do is the smaller cable, the larger stuff is still just cut up and tossed aside. The saws cannot cut thru the larger stuff without having to roll the cable over and it takes too long.

www.hoosierpondpros.com

http://www.pondboss.com/subscribe.asp?c=4
3/4 to 1 1/4 ac pond LMB, SMB, PS, BG, RES, CC, YP, Bardello BG, (RBT & Blue Tilapia - seasonal).