Originally Posted By: rt014
I will be draining my pond in the summer when the flow comes to a trickle to repair the dam.

Assuming a mid-summmer 'refill' of the pond (from a cold natural spring)....What would be your strategy and timing for stocking it? (Assuming that I ultimately want Rainbows, Brookies and forage fish).

Well if you water is cool enough on the refill than you can plant any time. It's possible however if the refill is too slow the water may warm up as you refill the pond and you might have to wait until fall.

Sorry if I missed it but how large is the pond and how deep is it? Also does it have steep sides? Smaller is actually better with a trout pond as it's easier to keep cool as you don't need as much flow.

I will also plan on buying a feeder to supplement with trout pellets. I was reading elsewhere that unless you establish the forage fish in advance (like the year before) they will be gobbled up and your back to no forage fish.

It's good to establish the forage base especially if they are fatheads and don't have a lot of hiding places and/or breeding material to spawn under.

Adirondack Pond - thanks for those links btw.

If pigs could fly bacon would be harder to come by and there would be a lot of damaged trees.