Thanks for all of the great responses.

I know trees are a big contributor to my water loss, but for a number of reasons I don't want to take many of them out. I did cut down a big willow tree this spring near the dam, but the pond is still lined on 3 sides with cedar, oak, and pecan. I will certainly look at the vegetation closer and thin what I can, but I don't expect to practically make a big impact in this area.

I have a public water supply for the house and in fact have a deed restriction that requires me to use it so this well would only be for the pond and irrigation.

I get the point about the cost of running a pump and will surely do those calculations before committing. For my small 1/2 acre pond I just calculated I can add 1" of water in 8 hours at 28 GPM. That doesn't seem too bad and is certainly way more than the rate I'm losing water. I can understand it would be a very different situation on a larger pond.

If anyone wants to check my math:

0.5 acre = 21,780 sq. ft. * 1/12 ft = 1815 cu. ft or 13,576 gallons per inch of water level. (7.48 gallons/cu. ft.)

13,576 gallons / 28 GPM = 484 minutes or 8 hours to raise the level 1 inch.

Last edited by torchroadster; 12/18/10 10:36 AM.