I like the Siberian kale, purple top turnips and Athena rape. I over seed into a clover chickory plot at about 2 pounds per acre. Anymore and you can crowd out the clover. If I am doing a straight brassica plot, I like 8-10 pounds per acre.

I have two food plots in PA. One is about 1.3 acres and the other is .25 acres. The .25 acre plot is solely annual and is my straight up kill plot. I plant it in buckwheat in the late spring and then till the buckwheat into the soil in late August and then plant it in a oats, triticale, winter peas, crimson clover mix. The deer can't stay out of it... The larger 1.3 acre plot is half white clover(Durana cultivar), forage chickory and a small percentage of birdsfoot trefoil. The other half I play around with annually.

I planted all my logging/skidder roads in an orchard grass, dutch white clover and birdsfoot trefoil mix that has worked well.

Now that my father and I have a couple of longer term leases around his place in Virginia, we will have the chance to put some food plots in there as well. Several more acres to experiment with... I can tell you if I was going to plant one species that deer can't resist in the fall it would be winter peas. Brassicas are very hit or miss... Either the deer love them or hate them for the most part. I like them because they are a great late season draw for deer. Nothing like watching deer in day light working a food plot in December digging for turnip bulbs and eating the frosted leaves.