Originally Posted By: ewest
What in your opinion is going on with those changes the last 2 weeks? DO down , clarity out the roof , and temps down a little.

I think the flood has had a huge affect. It cut the water clarity to yearly lows by introducing large amounts of suspended material from along the shoreline. The rising water groundwater lifted bottom sediment and forced it into suspension as well. The stained water also caused heat to be retained at higher then normal levels.

Now that the pond has dropped to about 33 inches on the depth tube (down from a high of 56 inches) most of the suspended matter has returned to the bottom or filtered out of the pond through ground water flow-through.

It is possible that the zoo-plankton may have been adversely affected by all the foreign suspended material causing further clearing. Dying plant and zoo-plankton have caused the D.O. to drop.

Since the water temperatures are higher than normal for this time of the year, I expect that the D.O will rise prior to ice-up and the water will stain up some because of zoo-plankton activity and plant life recovering because of the extreme amount of sun penetration.

After the ice forms I expect the pond will become very clear just like every winter with typical (for here) winter D.O levels.

What do you think?

Life is Good on Bremer Pond

Bremer Pond Weather