Originally Posted By: MRHELLO
I know I had asked for JHAP’s input being the GSA ring leader but have not seen one note from him trying to convert me.

As I said in the PM between us, I was out of town.

If you desire my opinion here it is but keep in mind I'm JAIWAK not an expert:

The photos of your fish that you have posted seem to me to have a high percentage of GSF in them. People more expert than I have given you feedback related to their appearance.

IMHO and once again this is just my opinion, GSF are not the Satan spawn that will ruin your pond. Having been a member here for a few years I have found that most folks don't like GSF for two main reasons (1) in many ponds the GSF don't grow very large and (2) because of the size of their mouth and their aggression level they compete directly with juvenile predator fish (smaller LMB, probably most sized SMB, etc).

Some members here have been blessed with larger GSF. If you ever catch a GSF that weighs a pound or more you will laugh at BG. IMHO, pound for pound GSF are one of the hardest fighting sunfish. They will aggressively strike a larger lure and will fight like mad when hooked. The first time I caught a large GSF I was sure that I had caught a medium sized LMB. Originally my pond had only LMB, GSF and Bullhead. Later I stocked Gambusia, BG and RES. If I could reverse time I (which at present the GSA's time machine is not completely functional) I would not have added the BG. I would have added the Gam's and RES and managed the pond for LMB and GSF, but that is just me.

As for your questions from a non expert:

Should I add more LMB?
I don't recall the size of your pond and the number of predators that you have in the pond already and I'm no expert but I wouldn't just continue to throw more predators into your pond. Cull out the fish you don't want would be my idiotic advice.

Should I throw them on the bank?
Throw all other fish besides GSF onto the bank. GSF should be treated with dignity and respect. If you feel the need to cull GSF then raise the fish toward heaven and beg forgiveness prior to ending it's magnificent life.

Will GSF eat their own young?
LMB will eat LMB young and I'm betting GSF would as eat GSF young as well. It is after all survival of the fittest and GSF are good at surviving.

Would GSF help keep the Crappie and LMB spawns under control?
Many, many factors come into play as to whether or not one species is able to dominate another species. I think it would depend upon the ratio of GSF to Crappie and LMB that exist in the pond, the success of the recruitment of GSF versus the other fish, the amount of vegetation in the pond, etc, etc.

Will the Crappie or CC eat many of the GSF?
Make up your mind, do you want GSF to control Crappie or Crappie to control GSF. laugh

Will they take to pellets and would this get them to eating size so I at least get something for what I paid.
GSF will definitely eat pellets. DaveInElDorado added feed trained BG to his pond and began a feeding regiment. GSF immediately took to pellets. Observation at feeding time makes it easy to determine which fish (BG or GSF) is eating the pellets. From my observations BG seem to "attack" the pellets using a more shallow attack, GSF rocket up from the bottom hit the pellet and dive back down.

What if anything can I requets from or do to the farm that sold me these?
Have you contacted them and talked to them? Expressed your concern to them? Are they a reputable fish farm?

As I said I'm no expert but you wanted my feedback (probably because you don't know me very well, most folks here know better than to ask my advice laugh ) so there it is. Some of my response is tongue in cheek. No offense is intended. IMHO you are way, way over worrying this issue. Take a deep breath and relax.

It has been my observation that new pond owners tend to way over worry about their pond. Read some of my first posts and you'll find that I did as well. As long as your income doesn't depend upon the pond then there is no need (again IMHO) to over worry these issues. Decide what fish you desire and begin to manage for them.

Nature has a way of imposing it's own plan upon you so if you don't learn to relax somewhat then you'll go insane.

Trust me, I know.

JHAP
~~~~~~~~~~

"My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives."
...Hedley Lamarr (that's Hedley not Hedy)